Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Genius!

I admit it - I'm using itunes right now.

I haven't used the program in ages, sick of them pushing their music store - selling songs formatted such that they can only be played by their own players, and a drab, featureless design.

But I downloaded and installed itunes a few days ago - I was making a couple of cds for... a girl, and the tracks were in an unfamiliar format, which I had to convert to wma, then to mp3, using itunes for the latter conversion.

Since then, I went ahead and let itunes update itself with my library. And I noticed this little feature, called Genius - so I turned that on, and let everything update.

Now, I'm wondering why I was missing out on such a nifty - yes, nifty - little feature.

See, genius works a lot like Pandora, but with music you already have. It takes the information from the tracks you have, and, based on what track you select, it creates a playlist with similar songs.

This is quite handy, as I have somewhere around 70 GB of music, and counting - and often forget I even have some stuff.

I just like this genius thing, is all.

It just created a playlist with tracks by the eels, Sparklehorse, Spoon, Tom Waits, the Mountain Goats, and much, much more.


I'm sort of warming up to this whole "technology" thing.

No comments: