Friday, November 28, 2008

They Will Not Sing for Me.

I walked the coast,
Cold sand and stone
Stabbing exposed heel and toe.
The naked moon hanging in the vacant sky -
Beautiful and alone.
A ghost was born
Shivering and bright eyed
On that lonesome shore.

I drove from the city,
The noise and love left
Somewhere in the chaos behind.
A new start in an old place
Creaking boards and peeling paint
Crying and waving their
Hellos or goodbyes.

Sitting in the dusty dark
I saw the ghost that followed
Me to the place that us
Used to exist as we,
Eyes questioning and
A trembling, whispering voice
No louder than the wind outside.

I know you, the voice
Said to me.
Your words are counterfeit,
Your life forfeit
On that lonesome shore.
You have found your home,
And you will never go
Anywhere where you will not be alone.
Come back into the fog,
Into the sea you crawled out of,
Don't sully the air with hollow words like love;
You know you knew you had had enough.

No comments: