Wednesday, October 19, 2005

The importance of randomization




When I listen to a cd or mp3 playlist, I often choose to do so on the "random" setting.

Now, there are those *ahem* who look down upon such acts - so I feel it is imperitive that I explain my stance on the matter. Because, yes, this is a life-or-death matter. Absolutely - fuck hurricanes and earthquakes and a President that wants to see every American male either turned Republican or dead - THIS is what's important.

See, I listen to high quality music - such as Madonna, U2, My Chemical Romance, and Yellowcard. Now - these are some seriously high quality musicians here, who have spent years upon years honing their craft, and have nothing but artist credibility. However, because they are all working under the umbrella of large corporations (and egos, but i digress), the order of their records are often not entirely decided upon by them - So, playing them on "random" means you lose nothing in the cohesiveness of the album, and, in fact, may gain a better listening experience.

In addition to this, playing a record on "random" - actually, I should say cd, as I do not think it possible to play a record proper on random - unless you actually pick up the needle and move it, but I never learned how to spot where one track ends and another begins, so I would fail miserably in that regard.
Again with the digression - let's continue. Playing a CD on random can breath(e?) extra life into it. How many times have you listened to that Yanni cd? I know i've nearly worn it out - but, when I play it on random, it's like he's crooning to me anew. How lovely. I can almost see the grease in his hair glistening now.... yummy... *ahem* i mean.. Yanni....
moving on..

Finally - listening to a release on "random" often leads to unexpected discoveries. Did you know that, if you listen to Pearl Jam's, Metallica's, and U2's latest efforts together, on random, and you get JUST the right mix, and you've imbibed a fifth of vodka, and smoked all of your therapist's stash of 'medical' marijuana - it tells a story of a lost cat who hates music fans, is in love with itself, steals musical ideas from a dead icon, and hasn't created anything worth listening to since the early nineties? It's true. Try it for yourself.

So, yes - I listen to music on random.




I guess the point I'm trying to make here is.... what you should be getting out of this...
well, I guess what I'm trying to say is this: I listen to music on random, and am a douche for doing so.
Oh, and I dislike, in no particular order: President Bush (and other sorts of bushes - i mean, really - wtf? are you a tree or a potted plant? what's the deal with bushes?!?!), and a lot of bands. A lot. Two words.

1 comment:

the moon is a cookie said...

I once read Thom Yorke saying that Pablo Honey would have been a much better album if they had focused more on the track order, and claimed that the band now focuses on track order as something of primary importance. But hey, what does he know anyway? I'm sure listening to everything on random is a fantastic idea.